How Do I Know What Size Garage Door I Need?
Choosing The Best Garage Door Size For Your Arizona Home
Are you ready to replace your garage door? Have you thought about the perfect size for it before contacting a garage door repair service in Gilbert? There are many options for you to choose from. However, you should always think about the size before selecting a favorite.
It’s not difficult to find a garage door that fits your home in terms of style, features, and color. The size is not complicated to understand either, especially if you take into account the following recommendations.
Standard Size For Garage Doors
The size of a garage door depends on the type of garage space you have. The most common types are as follows:
- One-Car Garage: Smaller homes tend to have a one-car garage, which usually has 8 feet wide in size (2.4 meters). Some are 9 feet wide for extra space.
- Two-Car Garage: Two-car garage has twice the size of a one-car garage. They usually are 16 feet wide (4.9 meters). This space allows one vehicle to get in while another car is parked. However, it is not the best garage to enter or exit both cars at the same time.
- Three-Car Garage: This is the largest size. Three-car garages are typically 32 feet (9.8 meters). It is possible to use a 32 feet wide garage door to fit a three-car garage, but most homeowners prefer two standard 15-foot garage doors.
Many garage doors in Chandler are 7 feet (2.1 meters) in height as this is the standard. 8-foot doors are not uncommon, but anything higher than that is considered a custom size, and not a standard.
You may think that a three-car garage side is only a third wider than a two-car garage, but that’s not all. You should also consider the space between the car in the middle and the car on one side, as it should be wide enough to move both cars smoothly.
What Is The Best Size For My Garage Door?
Now that you know the standard size for garages, it is time for you to choose the best garage door according to it.
In other words, if you have a two-car garage, then you may need a 15-foot or 16-foot garage door. For a standard three-car garage, two doors of that size should be enough. You can also choose an extra-wide garage door of 32 feet.
The best you can do before buying the door is to measure the opening of your garage. You can have a better idea of the width and height by doing this.
If you don’t feel prepared enough to measure your garage, you can contact an expert in garage doors in Glendale.
How To Measure The Garage Before Choosing A Door
Measuring your garage is a tedious job, but it can be helpful to get a better idea of its size. You only have to follow these steps:
- Find a tape measure and measure the width of the garage door opening. Remember to do it horizontally from left to right and only from the inside. Also, notice if the opening on either side is irregular. Even if there are no irregularities, measure from different locations to ensure you have the right size.
- Now you can measure the height of the door opening. To do it, start from the highest part and go down to the floor. The number you get should be anywhere around 7 feet.
- Lastly, take other measurements for installation purposes. For example, the space between the garage door opening and the actual side of your garage.
By taking these measurements you will know more accurately the size of your garage. Also, you will know if you need extension springs for your garage door opening mechanism.
Contact A Garage Door Repair Service In Gilbert
Once you are ready with the measurements, you can find your new garage door!
If you are in Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Queen Creek, and the entire East Valley, Same Day Garage Door Services can help you find the best door for your home and install it safely and quickly!
At Same Day Garage Door Services, we focus on offering you a top-quality door installation or repair for an affordable price. We are a licensed, bonded, and insured garage repair and installation company ready to assist you the best way we can. Feel free to contact us to get more information!